Friday, March 6, 2009

Dog Bones

Haven't had much blog time lately - rug hooking has been taking up my spare minutes. Gibby has settled into a routine, a routine that is exciting while in the middle of it, but which doesn't lend itself to much description. He's a really happy dog, still putting on weight, and still bringing things out of the house and into the dog pen. Most recently, he took one of my old detergent bottles that I use for carrying water, and turned it into a football. It is funny to see this big orange blur spurt out from under his paws while he leaps as high as the dog pen fence so he can pounce on it wherever it lands.

If I have time today, I'm going to make some dog treats. I've had the supplies for months, but haven't had the time. I found a new dog bone recipe that I think I'll try. This recipe was on a dog blog, a dog blog written by a dog (hence the following reference to "my yummy dog bones").

Bone Recipe

Several of my friends have asked how Joan made my yummy dog bones. I asked Joan to write it down for all of you - here it is:

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dry nonfat milk
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup (or more as needed) chicken or beef stock/broth
1 egg

Mix the milk and flour in a bowl. Cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender. Mix the stock and egg together slightly in a separate bowl. Add the stock mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon or spatula or hands to form a sticky dough that moves away from the sides of the bowl. Add more stock as needed. (Joan says she probably used more like 1 cup of stock for ours.)Roll out on a flat, slightly floured surface to 1/4" thick. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes into dough. Place cut shapes on greased cookie sheets (or parchment paper on cookie sheets). You may re-roll scraps and cut more shapes though the dough make get tougher the more you roll it out. Bosco says: Bake any left-over scraps because the dogs don't care if they are shaped or not!!!! The bone shape is really an aesthetic addition for the humans!!!

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until edges are brown and they look dry. Remove and cool treats on rack. After all baking is complete, put all the treats on one sheet and put back into cooling oven. Shut the door and leave for 8-16 hours. Then keep in airtight container.
Joan got this from the newspaper and it was attributed to someone's cookbook, but we don't remember who right now!
Posted by Joan Hughes on March 20, 2007 10:37 AM

No comments: